Thursday, March 10, 2011

Swiss Baked Chicken

This recipe is perfect for those nights when you have zero energy to cook (something I think any working or SAHM or SAHD can relate to), yet you want a home-cooked meal.  There's no chopping and you can have this baby prepped in 5 - 10 minutes.  That being said, this recipe has become a regular in our household ever since my mother-in-law shared it with me a few years ago. 

My husband remembers his mom making this meal quite regularly growing up.   Having a family of 6 (including 4 very hungry boys and a husband) to feed every night, it's no wonder she turned to this recipe often.  She usually doubled it, using 2 casserole dishes, to feed their family of 6.

Swiss Baked Chicken

Ingredients

  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

  • Swiss cheese slices

  • 1 (10.75 oz) can Cream of Celery soup

  • 1/4 cup dry sherry, cream sherry, or vermouth-cooking sherry**

  • 1 cup herb-flavored salad croutons

  • 3 Tablespoons butter


**I've always used cream sherry since I can easily find it at the grocery store

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Arrange chicken in greased baking dish.  Place cheese slices on top.

  3. In a small bowl combine soup with sherry and mix well.  Pour over cheese.

  4. Sprinkle with croutons, dot with butter, and bake for 1 hour uncovered.




*Recipe courtesy of my Mother-in-Law.

Oh, and I can't forget...  Honorable mention goes to my husband for doing the cooking of this dish the night it was photographed.  (It had been a very long day...sick 10 month olds like to be held.  A lot.)  So way to go hubs!  A home-cooked dish was just what I was craving after caring for our sick little love bug all day.  I think it tasted even better since I didn't have to make it. ;)

1 comment:

  1. We had a version of this just this week - yummy comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...