My husband remembers his mom making this meal quite regularly growing up. Having a family of 6 (including 4 very hungry boys and a husband) to feed every night, it's no wonder she turned to this recipe often. She usually doubled it, using 2 casserole dishes, to feed their family of 6.
Swiss Baked Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Swiss cheese slices
- 1 (10.75 oz) can Cream of Celery soup
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, cream sherry, or vermouth-cooking sherry**
- 1 cup herb-flavored salad croutons
- 3 Tablespoons butter
**I've always used cream sherry since I can easily find it at the grocery store
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange chicken in greased baking dish. Place cheese slices on top.
- In a small bowl combine soup with sherry and mix well. Pour over cheese.
- Sprinkle with croutons, dot with butter, and bake for 1 hour uncovered.
*Recipe courtesy of my Mother-in-Law.
Oh, and I can't forget... Honorable mention goes to my husband for doing the cooking of this dish the night it was photographed. (It had been a very long day...sick 10 month olds like to be held. A lot.) So way to go hubs! A home-cooked dish was just what I was craving after caring for our sick little love bug all day. I think it tasted even better since I didn't have to make it. ;)