Thursday, March 3, 2011

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi

When I saw the picture for this recipe in my Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, I knew I wanted to try it.  A few years later, and I finally did. 

Why did it take me a few years to finally make this recipe?  Well, I only have one excuse:  I was intimidated by having to cook raw shrimp.  I'd never cooked raw shrimp before, and the fear of overcooking it and having it turn rubbery was all it took to hold me back.  But now, a few years later, I can successfully say I did it!  And...it was easy!  The instructions to this recipe were spot on and the result was restaurant quality deliciousness.  It was also surprisingly easy to make (especially considering the impressive result), and I had most all of the ingredients already in the house.

Note:  I thought the amount of lemon and garlic was perfect in this recipe as it was written, but I think my husband would have liked a little more garlic and a little less lemon.  But in my mind, she who does the cooking wins.  Maybe next time we'll make it his way.  Either way, both flavors are very easy to adjust to your liking.

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

  • Vegetable oil

  • Kosher salt

  • 1 1/2 lbs. linguine (I used whole grain)

  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter

  • 5 Tablespoons olive oil

  • 3 Tablespoons minced garlic (approx. 9 cloves)

  • 2 lbs. peeled and deveined raw shrimp (approx. 32 large shrimp), thawed if frozen

  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

  • Grated zest of 1 lemon

  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)

  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced into half-moon rounds

  • 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes


Directions

1.  Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  Once boiling, drizzle a little vegetable oil in the pot, and then add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine.  Cook according to the directions on the package.

2.  While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter and olive oil in a 12-inch heavy-bottomed pan over medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often to make sure the garlic doesn't burn. 

3.  Add the shrimp, 1 tablespoon of salt, the black pepper, and saute for approximately 5 minutes or until the shrimp have just turned pink, stirring frequently.



4.  Remove from heat.  Add the chopped parsley,  lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes to the pan.  Stir to combine.



5.  When the linguine is done cooking, drain the liquid, and put it back in the pot.  Immediately toss together with the shrimp and sauce (in either the pasta pot or the heavy-bottomed pan). 



6.  Serve and enjoy. 



*Original recipe can be found in the cookbook Barefoot Contessa Family Style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...