Crispy Black Bean Tacos
- olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- lime wedges, for serving
- hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons olive oil and the lime juice. Add the coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. While the skillet is getting hot, mash the black beans slightly with a fork, leaving them still a little chunky for texture.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic and cook about 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the black beans, cumin, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Heat a large dry nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and heat until golden brown. Flip, and cook until the other side is golden brown as well (about 1 minute per side).
- Spoon 1/4 of the bean mixture onto the crisped tortilla and top with slaw and cheese. Serve with hot sauce and lime wedges.
*Recipe slightly adapted from this one.