Even though I love healthy meals and try to add as many meatless meals to our weekly menu as possible, I'm definitely not a vegetarian. My toddler isn't a vegetarian (the first time he tried bacon he smiled and promptly asked for more), and my husband most definitely is not a vegetarian either (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree), yet we all LOVED this pizza. I loved it so much that even I, who never touches leftovers (unless it's risotto), ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. And so did my toddler son!! I can't believe I just typed those words, but yes - he ate pizza topped with eggplant, peppers, onions, and olives! We were all amazed. If you're looking for a fantastic homemade veggie pizza chock full of flavor, this is a great one to try.
Even my bacon-centric husband, who admittedly was a bit skeptical of this "veggie recipe" upon reading it, devoured half the pizza for lunch, and complimented me on it once again. Now that's saying something!
Eat Your Veggies Pizza
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, cut in strips
1 small (or half of 1 large) eggplant, cut into half-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, cut in strips
1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
1 Whole Wheat pre-baked thin pizza crust (i.e., Boboli or Whole Foods 365 brand)
4 oz. tomato paste
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add eggplant and saute for 3 more minutes. Add the salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, and stir. Add garlic and red and yellow peppers and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, until veggies are crisp-tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Spread tomato paste over pizza crust and top with half of the mozzarella. Top with veggie mixture, remaining mozzarella, feta, and olives.
4. Bake until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top pizza with fresh basil just before serving.
*slightly adapted from Loaded Veggie Pizza