Monday, April 25, 2011

Coconut Banana Bread

What do you do with 3 overripe bananas?  Banana bread.

What do you do with 3 overripe bananas, half a carton of buttermilk, and an open bag of shredded coconut?   Coconut Banana Bread!

After researching several banana bread recipes, I decided on the recipe below -  an insanely wonderful variation on your usual banana bread.  So wonderful, that I will probably never make "just another banana bread recipe" ever again.

This bread is incredibly moist, light, and has the perfect tropical blend of bananas and coconut.  And I can't stop eating it!!!

Coconut Banana Bread

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 medium-sized very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (could also use sour cream)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup shredded coconut

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter the bottom of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
  2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, beating well.
  3. Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture.  Blend well.
  4. Add the bananas, buttermilk, vanilla, and coconut.  Stir well.
  5. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack.  Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing (otherwise it will be too crumbly).  Wrap tightly and store at room temperature for up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.



*Inspired by several banana bread recipes, but adapted primarily from Martha Stewart's Banana Bread recipe.

5 comments:

  1. This truly looks delicious and I have some overripe bananas on the counter as we speak. This might just be what I do with them! Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Carolyn - I've got overripe bananas on my counter too. I'll have to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfection with the yummy coconut mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana bread. I have never thought of putting coconut in it. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds yummy! I love that combo. Tempted to play with it to add coconut milk. I love baking with coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...