This, my friends, is the absolute mother load of all carrot cake recipes.
My mom has been making this cake ever since I can remember and has not attended a family function without it ever since. In fact, it's probably the most requested of all her recipes. I even requested this cake as my birthday cake at several of my birthday parties when I was a kid. Yes, it's that delicious. At my son's first birthday party last week my mom actually made TWO of these cakes just so we wouldn't run out! Sure enough, the guests and I devoured the first and almost the entire second carrot cake at the party...and if you note the yield on this recipe at the bottom, you'll realize that's no small feat.
This carrot cake is made as a sheet cake (yay for EASY!) and is so moist and light it practically melts in your mouth. I've had other homemade carrot cakes and even fancy retaurant versions, yet no matter how someone else makes it, or how they spice it, it just doesn't compare to this one. You must, must, must try this recipe. Even if you don't (think you) like carrot cake.
I think my friend summed up these carrot bars quite perfectly at my college graduation party several years ago when he said, "They're like little pieces of heaven."
Mom's Carrot Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 (4 oz.) jars of baby food carrots (2nd stage)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon). Add vegetable oil and eggs. Mix well and add baby food carrots. Beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer (or until smooth).
- Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 12 x 18 x 1 inch cookie sheet (shake pan over sink to shake off any extra loose flour).
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, soften butter and cream cheese at room temperature until soft enough to mix easily with a spoon. Mix until creamy. Add vanilla extract and mix well. Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until creamy. Spread frosting over cooled carrot cake with a spatula.
- Cut into bars and keep refrigerated.
Yield: 72 - 1" x 3" bars
*Recipe courtesy of Mom.