I'm always on the hunt for meals that the whole family will eat (what mom isn't?), and this is one of them. It's pretty darn healthy too, which makes me even happier. You can serve it as is, wrap it in a burrito shell, or serve it over rice. No matter how you serve it, it's great for dinner, and even better for lunch the next day.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 (15 oz.) can or jar all-natural mild enchilada sauce (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- flour/whole grain tortillas or rice, for serving
- Add the chicken, sweet potato, onion, enchilada sauce, black beans, cumin, and garlic powder to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until the sweet potato is tender and the is chicken cooked through, about 4 hours.
- Stir in the corn and cheese until the cheese melts. Set on warm until ready to serve. Serve over rice or wrap burrito style in flour tortillas.
*Slightly adapted from Meal Makeover Moms.