Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cinnamon Flax French Toast

My little man loves bread.  11 months old, and he's obsessed with whole wheat, whole grain, multigrain, whatever-grain bread.  He loves it.  He loves it so much that I purposely have to serve it at the end of a meal, after he's eaten all his fruits and veggies. 

That being said, I've been trying to find ways to incorporate a little more nutrition into the bread he eats.  Bread all alone certainly isn't a complete meal, but it does get a little more balanced when soaked in a milk, egg, and flaxseed mixture (especially since my child has recently decided eggs are inedible).  And the flaxseed, while optional, is something I try to incorporate whenever I can since it's a great source of fiber, omega-3s, and antioxidants.  It also adds a slight nutty flavor that is perfect in french toast. 

I've made this version of french toast several times now.  I usually make it on Sundays to serve my husband, myself, and the little man, and the best part is that there are always enough leftovers for at least 2 breakfasts during the week.  Pop it in the microwave or toaster oven for a quick reheat, and your weekday breakfast is done.  Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh berries, and you're good to go!

Cinnamon Flax French Toast

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
  • 8-10 slices 100% whole wheat bread
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
  • Maple syrup, mixed berries, and/or powdered sugar for serving

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and ground flaxseed.
  2. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat.
  3. Coat the bread in the egg mixture, one slice at a time and cook in the skillet until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.  Repeat until skillet is full.  When first batch is finished cooking, transfer to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm.  Add the remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil to the pan before starting the second batch. 
  4. Serve with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or mixed berries.

*Slightly adapted from this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I found this web site from stumbleupon. It is not blog post I would normally read, but I loved your thoughts on it. Thank you for making something worth reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...