Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup



Chicken Taco Soup - one of my new favorite crock pot recipes, courtesy of a fellow SAHM friend, Anne.  I've always loved the ease of cooking with a crock pot, but after my son was born I fell in love with it all over again.  I can prep while he's napping and let dinner cook all day while we play or run errands.  If you love the ease of the crock pot and how tender it can make any and all meat, then try this recipe.  It just earned a spot in this household's regular rotation!  Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup

Ingredients

  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

  • 1 chopped onion

  • 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained

  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

  • 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles

  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

  • 4 oz. can diced green chiles

  • 1 can/bottle of beer

  • 1 packet taco seasoning

  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional, but I like a little heat)


Additional toppings (optional): 

  • shredded cheddar cheese (a "must" in my opinion)

  • plain non-fat greek yogurt or sour cream

  • tortilla chips

  • avocado


 Directions

  1. Mix all ingredients in a crock pot making sure the chicken is submerged under the liquids.  Cook on high for 3 hours. 

  2. After 3 hours, remove the chicken breasts, shred them, and return to the crock pot. 

  3. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for another 2 hours. 

  4. Serve and top with your favorite toppings (i.e., shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado).


Serves 6.

*Recipe adapted from my fellow SAHM friend, Anne P.  Thanks, Anne, for a great keeper recipe!

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying this for my staff today---we're having a potluck to honor our adminstrative professionals. :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...