If you're intimidated by risotto:
#1 - Don't be.
#2 - Try this recipe.
This is one of my family's favorite risotto dishes and meets two of my requirements for a "weeknight keeper recipe" - simple and delicious! It's pure comfort food that is easy to whip up from ingredients you might already have on hand. It only serves 2, so I usually double the recipe since the leftovers are just as delicious!
- 1 T butter
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 fat scallions, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups risotto rice (arborio)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard (we like whole grain dijon mustard)
- 4 cups hot vegetable stock (chicken stock works fine too)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 T chopped chives (optional)
- Melt butter and oil in a large pan. Add scallions and cook until softened.
- Add the rice and keep stirring for a minute. Then turn up the heat, add the wine and mustard, and stir until the wine is absorbed.
- Start ladling in the hot stock, 1 ladle at a time. After each ladleful, stir until it is absorbed by the rice before adding the next.
- Keep stirring and ladling until the rice is al dente (about 18 minutes).
- Next, add the sharp cheddar to the rice, mixing until it melts.
- Take the pan off the heat and immediately spoon into serving dishes. Sprinkle with chopped chives if you wish.
*Original recipe can be found in the cookbook, Nigella Express, by Food Network's Nigella Lawson.